January 8, 2018—This update provides a summary of the Special Public Meeting of Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board held Monday, January 8, 2018 at the Education Centre. It is an unofficial summary of the meeting; official minutes will be approved at the next meeting later in January 2018.
Board members approved the name Meyers Creek Secondary School for the school consolidating Moira Secondary School and Quinte Secondary School in September 2018.
An accommodation review of Belleville schools during the 2016-2017 school year resulted in a Board decision to close Quinte Secondary School in June 2018 and consolidate it with Moira Secondary School on the Moira site for September 2018. The Board recommendation stated that the consolidated secondary school, presently known as Moira Secondary School, would be rebranded with a new name and logo.
The Integration Committee, consisting of students, parents/guardians, employees and community members, developed a process to communicate with and engage the public in submitting names for consideration. The first communication invited input and rationale for potential new names for the school through online or paper submissions. It was open from October 27 to November 15, 2017.
A total of 314 responses was received which the committee shortlisted to the following five:
- Belleville East Secondary School
- East Hill Secondary School
- East Side High School
- Gord Downie Secondary School
- Meyers Creek Secondary School
A second round of public input was open from December 5 to 12, 2017. It invited the public to provide input on their first, second and third choices from the shortlist. A total of 1,331 individual responses was received. The committee met on December 13, 2017 to review and discuss the input and rationale, and came to consensus on a proposed name.
Rationale for this school name is as follows:
- The Meyers surname has a historical connection to Belleville. John Waldon Meyers, a prominent industrialist, settled in Thurlow Township in the 1790s. He built a homestead, mills and a trading post near the mouth of Meyers Creek. The community that developed there became known as Meyers Creek and was renamed to Belleville in the early 1800s.
All meetings take place at the Education Centre unless otherwise noted.
- Monday, January 8, 2018:
- Program and Human Resources Committee, 5:30 p.m.
- Operations and Finance Committee, 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 22, 2018: Public Board Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, January 25, 2018: Special Education Advisory Committee, 5:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, extension 2354, [email protected]