Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board is committed to providing caring, safe, respectful and inclusive learning environments for all students. We are engaged in an ongoing review of both proactive and reactive strategies aimed at making our schools safe and welcoming learning environments.
Over time we have developed a range of practices to help our schools develop positive and safe school environments. They include:
- character development;
- bullying prevention education and awareness;
- violence prevention programs;
- emergency response protocols;
- student success strategies;
- citizenship development;
- student leadership;
- peer and group counselling;
- restorative practices;
- mentor programs; and
- progressive discipline, which includes suspension or expulsion, when necessary.
We are continuing to implement Safe Schools Action Teams at each school to assist in the review and development of specific plans and approaches. Membership on Safe Schools Action Teams includes employees, parents/guardians, students and community representatives. At the district level we continue to work in partnership with the Safe Schools Advisory Committee, made up of employees, trustees, parents/guardians, community partners and police agencies. This group continues to play a valued role in guiding district direction as it relates to safe schools.
We welcome opportunities for input at the school level through direct conversations with principals and staff, and involvement with the School Councils or Safe School Teams. Opportunities for input at the district level involve direct conversations with school superintendents or local trustees, involvement with the Safe Schools Advisory Committee or the Parent Involvement Committee.
Thousands of employees, parents/guardians, students and community partners are already engaged in this important work. Our strength and success will come though our collective efforts.
- Policy 1: Board Mission and Goals (October 2010)
- Procedure 135: Equity and Inclusivity (September 2010)
- Procedure 145: Code of Conduct (June 2010)
- Procedure 147: Technology Use (May 2012)
- Procedure 153: Emergency Response (February 2012)
- Procedure 225: Character Development (October 2008)
- Procedure 378: Student Discipline, Bullying Prevention and Intervention (June 2010)
- Procedure 385: Community Threat Assessment Protocol (June 2010)
- Procedure 393: Police Protocol (September 2011)
- AiM—Achievement in Motion for Student Success System Plan Summary (2011-2012)
- Board Improvement Plan for Student Success (2013)
- Resource Guide: Bullying Prevention & Intervention (February 2010)
- Resource Guide: Code of Conduct (February 2009)
- Resource Guide: Progressive Discipline & Promoting Positive Student Behaviour (February 2009)
- Safe Schools web page
Ministry of Education
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]