September 2022 Return to School
August 9, 2022—We look forward to a normal return to school this fall. This includes providing an enriching school experience that enables academic success, supports students to partake in activities and programs that enhance classroom learning, and build social and life skills.
On the advice of the Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health, for the 2022-2023 school year, most COVID-19 health and safety requirements remain unchanged from the last school year. Specifically, that means the following:
- Masks will not be required for students, staff and visitors in schools, school board offices, or on student transportation. Schools will actively promote respectful, welcoming and inclusive environments for anyone who chooses to wear, or not to wear, a mask within their school communities.
- The government will continue to provide school boards with free high-quality masks for students and staff and eye protection for staff, if they choose to use them.
- Schools will continue to have access to rapid antigen tests to be used in accordance with provincial testing guidance.
- It is recommended that staff, students and visitors continue to self-screen every day before attending school using the COVID-19 school and child care screening tool. Individuals should stay home if they are feeling ill to prevent the spread of illness.
- Appropriate hand hygiene and respiratory etiquette will continue to be promoted and integrated throughout the school day.
- Schools and school vehicles will continue with enhanced cleaning protocols requiring cleaning/disinfecting high-touch surfaces at least once daily.
- For students with disabilities, all health and safety protections will continue to be fully adhered to, as per Ministry of Education additional supports in staffing and mental health funding to support students most in need.
- All students will continue to have access to evidence-based and timely school-based mental health services and supports.
This fall, the first day of school for students is Tuesday, September 6, 2022. Kindergarten students may have a staggered start to the first week of school and begin classes on a different date. Schools will contact kindergarten families at the end of August to confirm start dates.