Letter from the Director: Inter-school extracurriculars resuming this week
September 28, 2021
Inter-school athletics will resume this week with a mandatory vaccination plan for students, coaches, volunteers and officials
As the school year progresses, so do requirements for the COVID-19 pandemic. At Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board, the Return to Learning Plan provides guidance for the safe return to school. We review the plan on a regular basis and make adjustments to enhance student learning, engagement and well-being.
Participation in activities beyond the classroom is an important part of the school experience. With that in mind, I am pleased to let you know that inter-school athletics for students in Grades 7-12 will resume this week, in accordance with guidance from Hastings Prince Edward Public Health. Inter-school activities occur between two or more schools, as compared to in-school activities, which are referred to as intramurals.
Permission to play
Students in Grades 7-12 participating in inter-school events (athletics and/or extracurriculars) are required to be fully vaccinated by November 12, 2021 to participate in activities that take them out of their home school. OFSAA guidelines and COVID-19 protocols will be followed.
To minimize the number of contacts for students, coaches, officials and volunteers, all events will be closed to spectators.
Students who are in the process of acquiring full vaccination status will be permitted to participate in inter-school activities if they are meeting vaccination milestones, as follows:
- The first dose of vaccination must be completed by October 1, 2021.
- The second dose of vaccination must be completed by October 29, 2021.
- All participants must be fully vaccinated (including the 14-day waiting period following dose 2) as of November 12, 2021.
- Participants will provide proof of vaccination to confirm eligibility but will not be required to submit a copy of this proof.
- Schools will record that proof has been provided and that a participant is eligible.
- Those who have provided valid exemptions may be required to provide proof of negative rapid antigen tests prior to the activity.
- HPEDSB will not collect or store any medical documentation.
All students in Grades K-12 may participate in intra-school activities (intramural sports, clubs) without being subject to the vaccination expectations outlined above.
For more information, please refer to the Guidelines for the Safe Participation in Inter-school Athletic Activities.
HPEDSB is committed to student and staff safety, and to following health measures to protect in-person learning. Thank you for your support of your child’s school and for your understanding as we continue a cautious approach to school activities and events.
Director of Education