Information about the Novel Coronavirus (COVID19)
Updated February 12, 2020 to include another reference document.
January 30, 2020—Information about the Wuhan Novel Coronavirus is being shared through school boards on behalf of local, provincial and national public health agencies.
Outside Canada, a new virus (2019-Novel Coronavirus) not previously seen in humans, has been reported as the cause of several cases of pneumonia originating in Wuhan, China. This virus has spread from animals to humans and also between humans. Symptoms of this illness have ranged from mild cold-like symptoms to severe illness with fever, cough, difficulty breathing and pneumonia. Cases of the new virus have now been reported in Thailand, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, Singapore and the United States.
The risk to Canadians is deemed to be low at this time; however, Hastings Prince Edward Public Health is in continuous contact with Public Health Ontario and the Ministry of Health to monitor the situation. We are working proactively with local health care providers, hospitals, and schools to prepare for any potential cases, and to protect our community.
Preventing the spread of illness
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health provides these reminders of some key ways to prevent the spread of infection:
- Wash your hands frequently using soap and water or alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Cough and sneeze into the bend of your arm, not into your hand
- If you use a tissue, throw it away immediately and wash your hands
- Avoid touching your nose, mouth or eyes with your hands
- Clean objects/surfaces that a lot of people touch (door handles, phones, light switches, desks)
- Get plenty of rest, eat healthy and stay physically active to keep your immune system strong
- Get your influenza vaccine
- Stay home when you are sick and avoid contact with other people until your symptoms are gone
- If you suspect you are sick, avoid visiting people in long term care, or individuals with health concerns
- Public Health Memo Novel Coronavirus (Pdf) from Hastings Prince Edward Public Health
- International Student Memo (Pdf) from Hastings Prince Edward Public Health
- Airport Handout (Pdf) from Public Health Agency of Canada
- Updated Recommendations from Travellers Returning from China Re: 2019-Novel Coronavirus (COVID19) (Pdf)
- Hastings Prince Edward Public Health: Web page dedicated to providing updates about this virus
- Ministry of Health: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Information for the Public
- Public Health Agency of Canada: 2019 Novel Coronavirus Infection: Outbreak Update
- Public Health Ontario: Novel Coronavirus 2019nCoV and Testing Guidelines for Novel Coronavirus
Or contact the Communicable and Infectious Disease Program at Hastings Prince Edward Public Health, 613-966-5500, extension 349