Updated: Celebrating dance, creativity at the 29th Celebration of Dance
April 23, 2019—Excitement is building among students about the upcoming Celebration of Dance.
Updated April 30, 2019
Updated May 1, 2019
Celebration of Dance is a go for Thursday, May 2, 2019. See below for the specifics.
Celebration of Dance is postponed to the rain date of Thursday, May 2, 2019 due to the forecast for significant rain on May 1, 2019.
Same location, same time (see below).
Wednesday, May 1, 2019 (rain date is the next day) Thursday, May 2, 2019
TIME: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Zwick’s Park, Lion’s Pavillion
It’s all about being active and having fun. If you have never seen it, picture a sea of over 3,000 students from HPEDSB schools dancing in unison, dressed in their school colours and having fun!
Eleven dances are in the line-up, eight favourites from last year and three new ones:
- Thunder, presented by Foxboro Public School
- Cotton Eyed Joe
- Waka Waka, presented by Harmony Public School
- Party in the USA, presented by Queen Elizabeth School
- New Ain’t No Mountain High Enough, presented by York River Public School
- That Power, presented by Bayside Public School
- Uptown Funk, presented by Sophiasburgh Central School
- New Ugly Heart, presented by Harry J. Clarke Public School
- Hand Clap, presented by Susanna Moodie Elementary School
- New Fireball, presented by Prince Charles Public School (Belleville)
- Can’t Stop the Feeling, presented by Park Dale School
Students and teachers have been practising for weeks. They learn the dances by watching videos.
Volunteers from the Education Centre are helping with pedestrian traffic, security, being stage hosts and generally getting people and participants to where they need to be.
Participating schools include the following:
- Bayside Public School
- Birds Creek Public School
- C.M.L. Snider School
- Foxboro Public School
- Frankford Public School
- Harmony Public School
- Harry J. Clarke Public School
- Hermon Public School
- Kente Public School
- Madoc Public School
- North Trenton Public School
- Park Dale School
- Prince Charles School (Belleville)
- Prince Charles School (Trenton)
- Prince of Wales Public School
- Queen Elizabeth School
- Queen Victoria School
- Sir John A. Macdonald School
- Sophiasburgh Central School
- Susanna Moodie Elementary School
- York River Public School
Thank you to sponsors for donations and support: Battlefield Rentals, Belleville Police Department, Bob’s Portable Toilets, City of Belleville, Lance Jeffrey Sound Engineer, Springbox Water, St. John’s Ambulance, Tri-Board Student Transportation Services and YourTV.
The first Celebration of Dance took place in spring 1991 and has been an annual event since then. It is a fun and safe way to engage students in daily physical activity while supporting the physical education, and drama and dance curriculum.
Follow @Dance_HPE and tag #sayitwithdance and #hpecod
For more information, contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 62354, [email protected]