Say and Do Nice Things campaign re-launches for a fifth year
November 12, 2018—The award-winning Say and Do Nice Things campaign is back starting November 19, 2018.
Say and Do Nice Things is a way for positive comments or stories to be shared at schools, the Education Centre and through families and communities. It’s a simple way to show kindness and care to others through welcoming behaviours, such as smiling, saying ‘hi’ or asking how things are going outside school/work.
The launch coincides with the provincial Bullying Awareness and Prevention Week which is November 19 – 23, 2018. It is a time for students, employees, parents/guardians and community to learn more about bullying and its effect on student achievement and well-being. Even so, Say and Do Nice Things goes beyond that week—it’s an approach that can happen all year long.
Schools are being provided with SDNT posters and post cards for awareness and action. See below for some of the ways schools and students have embraced SDNT over the past four years:
- Student-created PA announcements
- Bulletin board displays using Say and Do Nice Things post card messages and posters
- Literacy activities: writing poems, stories, songs or plays
- Numeracy activities: calculating the number of times Say and Do Nice Things can be said in a day/week/month
- Created ‘super friends’ who do good deeds at school or in the community
- Drama performances
- Created artwork with Say and Do Nice Things as the theme
- Made videos to share on the HPEDSB YouTube channel and through Twitter
- School-to-school fun competitions for additional awareness
HPEDSB received a BRAVO! Award of Distinction through the Canadian Association of Communicators in Education on October 29, 2018. Communications Officer Kerry Donnell was recognized for leading the Say and Do Nice Things initiative, along with Sherry Rivers, Digital Communications Specialist; Ken Dostaler, System Lead for Equity; and Tina Elliott, System Lead for Student Services.
Follow the account @SayDoNiceThings and the hashtag #SayDoNiceThings or #CaringCounts on Twitter.
Please join us across Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board in creating welcoming, inclusive, safe and accepting learning environments to Say and Do Nice Things during Bullying Prevention and Awareness Week and every day.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 62354, firstname.lastname@example.org