28th Celebration of Dance: Wednesday, May 2, 2018
April 9, 2018—Excitement is building among students about the upcoming Celebration of Dance.
DATE: Wednesday, May 2, 2018 (rain date is the next day)
TIME: 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
LOCATION: Zwick’s Park, Lion’s Pavillion
It’s all about being active and having fun. If you have never seen it, picture a sea of over 3,000 students from HPEDSB schools dancing in unison, dressed in their school colours and having fun!
Twelve dances are in the line-up, eight favourites from last year and four new ones:
- Celebrate Dance (new), submitted by Susanna Moodie Elementary School as an original-written and produced song/dance incorporating moves from dances of years past
- Thunder (new), submitted by Foxboro Public School
- Cotton Eyed Joe
- Party in the USA
- Waka Waka (new), submitted by Prince Charles School (Belleville)
- That Power
- Cha Cha
- Something Big
- Uptown Funk
- The Greatest (new), submitted by Sir John A. Macdonald School
- Can’t Stop the Feeling
- Hand Clap
Students and teachers have been practising for weeks. They learn the dances by watching videos.
Volunteers from the Education Centre are helping with pedestrian traffic, security, being stage hosts and generally getting people and participants to where they need to be.
Participating schools include the following:
- Athol-South Marysburg Public School
- Bayside Public School
- C.M.L. Snider School
- Deseronto Public School
- Foxboro Public School
- Frankford Public School
- Harry J. Clarke Public School
- Hermon Public School
- Kente Public School
- Park Dale School
- Prince Charles School (Belleville)
- Prince Charles School (Trenton)
- Prince of Wales Public School
- Queen Elizabeth School (Belleville)
- Queen Victoria School
- Sir John A. Macdonald School
- Susanna Moodie Elementary School
- York River Public School
The first Celebration of Dance took place in spring 1991 and has been an annual event since then. It is a fun and safe way to engage students in daily physical activity while supporting the physical education, and drama and dance curriculum.
Follow @Dance_HPE and tag #celebratedance and #hpecod
For more information, contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]