October 13, 2017—Each month, school newsletters include a one-page insert called Home-School Connections. It describes ways in which families can enhance student achievement and well-being.This month’s Home-School Connections (Pdf)  features:
- Numbers Talk – Children struggle because they have little or no understanding of the relationships of numbers. Talking numbers  help students develop confidence in working with flexibility, exploration of mathematical concepts and connections between numbers.
- There is no such thing as a math person! Our brains grow and change  and as we learn, one of three things happen:
- We grow a new brain pathway
- A brain pathway becomes stronger
- Different brain pathways connect
- What are HPEDSB students saying? “Numbers talk is group learning to help with mental math and figuring out different math strategies. It’s listening to others ideas and thinking.”
- Number Talks  help children by sharing their own methods, making meaning out of numbers and choosing efficient strategies.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]