Attendance boundary and program changes for September 2018
November 22, 2017—Attendance boundary and school organization/program changes have been determined for some Belleville schools for the 2018-2019 school year. Most of the affected schools were part of a recent accommodation review that concluded in June.
Schools, students and families need this information to plan for the next school year.
“Many people have been anxiously awaiting the new attendance boundaries. Staff have been working diligently to analyze the existing boundaries, review school space requirements and projected enrolment in Belleville,” said Mandy Savery-Whiteway, Director of Education.
The changes described below align with recommendations approved by the Board of Trustees in June.
School board staff worked with Tri-Board Student Transportation Services to determine attendance boundary changes. Based on an analysis of current enrolment and students’ home addresses, the following has been determined for September 2018:
- Approximately 200 Quinte Secondary School students will attend Centennial Secondary School.
- Approximately 390 Quinte Secondary School students will attend the Belleville consolidated secondary school (currently known as Moira Secondary School) at the existing Moira Secondary School site. As per the recommendation, Moira Secondary School will be rebranded with a new name, logo, mascot and colours.
- The attendance boundary for Susanna Moodie Elementary School will change to include students who live north of Bridge Street in Belleville and who are currently in the Sir John A. Macdonald School attendance boundary.
- As per the June 2017 recommendation, families with children currently registered at Sir John A. Macdonald School will not be impacted by attendance boundary changes.
- New boundary maps (starting on page 7 of the link) are on the HPEDSB website: HPEschools.ca > Board Room > Board Meetings > Student Enrolment/School Capacity Committee > November 20, 2017
Elementary school changes
Coupled with the above is the need to make school program/organization/grade changes to some Belleville elementary schools. Based on an analysis of current enrolment and students’ home addresses, the following has been determined for September 2018:
- The Harry J. Clarke Public School Destinations Programme, currently located at Moira Secondary School, will be relocated to Queen Victoria School and Susanna Moodie Elementary School. The new Queen Victoria School Destinations Programme and the new Susanna Moodie Elementary School Destinations Programme will welcome Grade 7 and 8 students.
- Grade 7 and 8 students from Prince Charles School (Belleville) will attend Centennial Secondary School and Prince Charles will be a JK-6 school.
Parents of schools affected by these changes will receive communications this week.
Quinte Adult Education
Quinte Adult Education, currently located at Quinte Secondary School, will move to the William R. Kirk building for September 2018.
QSS Child Care Centre
The QSS Child Care Centre, a valued community partner, currently located at Quinte Secondary School, will relocate to a new location. Staff are in discussions with the QSS Child Care Centre and have indicated that space will be available in HPEDSB schools.
The SHAPE (South Hastings Alternative Personalized Education) program for current Centennial, Moira and Quinte students will continue to be located at the William R. Kirk building for September 2018.
“We know there is a lot of work ahead as we continue to shape the future of HPEDSB and public education in the communities we serve. This is an exciting time at HPEDSB as we focus on our vision of All students prepared and empowered for the possibilities of today and tomorrow,” added Savery-Whiteway.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]