Senior students from Quinte Secondary School will be traveling to Kenya in May, specifically the Maasai Mara Region. Once there, students will meet and learn from the local elders and community leaders, walk with women to draw water, learn Swahili each day and help build a school for children in need. This trip is in connection with the Me to We organization.
Quinte Secondary School is holding several fundraisers to help raise awareness and funds to support the students, as well as to purchase materials to be used to help build the school while the students are there.
Upcoming fundraising activities
- March 4, 2013: Boston Pizza Celebrity Server night with the Belleville Bulls. 10% of all food orders (take out or dine in) will be donated to the Kenya trip fund.
- Ongoing through to May 2013: Dem Bones Restaurant will donate 10% of all food orders purchased prior to the trip date. Restaurant goers are asked to write QSS KENYA TRIP on their receipt and put it in the box at the front door.
The Me to We approach to a community-based and worldview project like this encompasses the following:
- SERVE: Volunteerism means that participants learn about sustainable change and how it can be achieved in partnership with the community. Trips provide hands-on experience in building lasting solutions to challenges faced by communities in need.
- LEARN: By volunteering in communities served by the charity Free The Children, young people benefit from meaningful community based learning experiences. Through interactions with community members, participants on our trips get to know people who lead very different lives than themselves.
- ACT: Tangible leadership development equips participants with the tools they need to act on their new-found knowledge. Rather than their personal growth ending when the trip does, participants take the lessons and skills they learned and apply them to their own communities when they get home.
- SAFETY: Safety is always the first priority in overseas travel. Me to We has been facilitating trips overseas for the past 10 years with an incredible track record of safety and success in the countries visited. Me to We takes serious precautions to ensure that all participants return home safely.
- SUPPORT: The team at Me to We supports participants every step of the way. From tried and tested fundraising tools, to comprehensive pre-departure resources, to our team of expert facilitators, the Me to We team strongly believe in ensuring that each teacher, student and parent is fully engaged in the experience. The Me to We team is dedicated to providing high-quality service and everything needed to prepare students for the trip of a lifetime.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]