Involving students in Board business is an important learning experience. Hearing from student trustees during Board meetings about student issue and opinions is a way to engage these leaders beyond their school community. They represent student opinions at the Board level and participate actively on committees.
What do student trustees do?
Student trustees are involved in so many different ways at their school and also at the Board level. The are leaders who represent the voices of all student. For example, student trustees:
- Attend the annual Ontario Student Trustees’ Association conference
- Attend school Board meetings and are knowledgeable about policies and procedures
- Serve as the Board’s representatives at the Ontario Student Trustees’ Association
- Serve as student representatives between the Board and the Student Senate
- Undertake a mentoring role with the incoming Student Senate
Links and resources
- Ontario Student Trustees’ Association
- Policy 3-c: Student Representation on the Board (Pdf)
- Trenton High School presents Random Acts of Kindness (Opens a video)
Frequently asked questions about student trustees