It’s All Students First at HPEDSB
Starting school is an exciting time for young children and their families. All our elementary schools offer Kindergarten for Year 1 (JK) and Year 2 (SK).
As parents/guardians, you want to know about your child’s learning and progress in school. We’re here to help explain what to expect.
What to expect in the Kindergarten Program
Your child’s learning
The Kindergarten Program is child centered and developmentally appropriate:
- Establishing a strong foundation for learning in the early years
- Helping children make a smooth transition from home, child-care, or preschool settings to school settings
- Allowing children to learn through relationships, play and inquiry
- Setting children on a path of lifelong learning
Your child’s progress
Kindergarten Program reports go home three times during the school year. The Initial Observations report that goes home in the fall provides early evidence of a child’s learning journey. It includes a scheduled time for families to meet with educators to talk about your child’s learning.
Kindergarten Program reports provide you with an overview of your child’s learning and development within four focus areas:
- Belonging and Contributing
- Problem-Solving and Innovating
- Self-Regulation and Well-Being
- Demonstrating Literacy and Mathematics Behaviours
Educators add clear and easy-to-understand comments in each area about your child. The comments tell you about your child’s key learning and growth in learning. They also include next steps to support your child’s learning at school and at home.
Your child’s learning through play
Play is an important part of learning in the early grades:
- Learning about the world and how it works, about other people and about themselves
- Learning skills such as reading, writing, math and inquiry
- Problem-solving, thinking critically and creatively, as well as developing social skills
- Making discoveries about the world and how it works, about other people and about themselves
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Manager, 613-966-1170 or 1-800-267-4350, extension 62354, [email protected]