What is Co-operative Education?
- An integration of a student’s academic study with practical work
- An opportunity to obtain secondary school credits through supervised
placements with host employers
- An opportunity to apply and expand knowledge and skills learned in
- Courses in various disciplines may be offered through the cooperative
education program, which can benefit all students, whatever their
Who takes Co-op?
When does Co-op take place?
Where does Co-op happen?
- Students are placed in settings that provide challenging roles and
in the communities and surrounding area businesses
that support each of the local
Why take Co-op?
Co-op gives students the opportunity to:
- Experience future careers
- Develop employability skills
- Strengthen interpersonal skills
- Increase an awareness of the importance of life long learning
How to apply?
- Contact the Co-op Coordinator in your high school.
- Request Co-op when registering for classes.
- Fill out an application form in the Co-op office of your school.
- Wait to be contacted for an interview
How Are Students Assessed?
- A qualified teacher will assess and evaluate a student’s progress in achieving the expectations identified in the student’s Personalized Placement Learning Plan through regular workplace monitoring visits (a minimum of three per credit).
- Student achievement is also assessed through:
- Written assignments, seminar presentations and reflective journals
- Career portfolios
- A culminating independent-study assignment that links the student’s cooperative education placement experience with the curriculum expectations of the related course
- Performance appraisals written by the placement supervisor (a minimum of two).
Working this Summer?
Summer is almost here and many students in Grade 7 – 12 will soon begin summer jobs. It is everyone's responsibility to help them be safe.
The Ministry of Education and Ministry of Labour have prepared information sheets to increase awareness of young people's legal rights and duties in the workplace.
Parent information sheet (pdf)
Student information sheet (pdf)
Your Rights @ Work (pdf)