Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board is committed to excellence in education and equitable educational outcomes for all students. The board is committed to the elimination of discrimination, as outlined in Ontario’s Ministry of Education Equity and Inclusive Education Strategy and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
Equity of opportunity and equity of access to all programs, services and resources are critical to the well-being of those who serve our school system, and to the achievement of successful outcomes by all those whom we serve.
The board is engaged in a dynamic process of building a community free from bias and harassment in a culturally diverse and interdependent world based on the following guiding principles and areas of focus.
Principles of equitable and inclusive education
Equitable and inclusive education:
- Is a foundation of excellence, and is a fundamental requirement for educational excellence and high standards of student achievement.
- Meets individual needs by providing conditions and interventions needed to help every student succeed.
- Identifies and eliminates barriers.
- Promotes a sense of belonging which contributes to every student’s sense of well-being.
- Involves the broader community and recognizes that school-community partnerships are an essential component of an equitable and inclusive education system.
- Builds on and enhances previous and existing initiatives.
- Is demonstrated throughout the system.
School board links
Inclusive language posters (info graphics) NEW!
Procedure 135: Equity and Inclusive Education
Religious Accommodation Resource Guide
Equity and Inclusive Education brochure
Requesting Religious Accommodation for Students
Code of Conduct
Bullying Prevention and Intervention
AiM—Achievement in Motion for Student Success System Plan