FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
agreement for elementary occasional teachers
3 March 2006, Belleville, Ontario—The Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB) and the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario – Hastings and Prince Edward Occasional Teachers’ Local are pleased to confirm that the parties have successfully negotiated a new collective agreement. The agreement is for the period September 1, 2004 to August 31, 2008 and affects approximately 300 elementary Occasional Teachers. Conclusion of this deal means HPEDSB now has collective agreements in place with all employee groups through to August 31, 2008.
“The Board is pleased to reach a settlement with the occasional teachers who provide valuable contributions to supporting student success,” states Judy Edgar, Chair of the Board.
Highlights of this
• An 11.2 percent wage increase over four years.
• Amendments which provide for an increase in the cap on the number of occasional teachers employed.
• Guidelines on the requirement for criminal record checks.
• Provision for family care leave according to the Employment Standards Act.
• An incremental approach to the instructional day to cover variations in school timetables.
• Creation of a professional development fund managed by the ETFO executive.
“The Occasional Teachers’ Local is pleased to have achieved a settlement with the Board. Our 300 qualified teacher members continue to support the teachers, the students and the HPEDSB by providing quality education when a teacher is absent,” remarks Bill Edwards, President of the Hastings and Prince Edward Occasional Teachers’ Local.
The Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board has 54 schools serving 18,400 students, employing 1,070 teachers and 705 support staff. The Board covers a wide geographical area of 7,221 square kilometres bordered by Maynooth to the north, Deseronto to the east, Prince Edward County to the south, and Quinte West to the west.
For more information,
• Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, (613) 966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354