Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board is committed to the continual improvement of accessibility to school board facilities, policies, programs, practices and services for students, staff, parents, guardians, volunteers and members of the community with disabilities.
The Annual Accessibility Plan, describes the measures that Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board has taken in the past and the measures that will be taken during the 2012-2013 school year to identify, remove and prevent barriers for people with disabilities who work in, use or attend school board facilities and services.
Our commitment to accessibility is ongoing
- The Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) meets annually to review the plan.
- We consult with people with disabilities to develop and review of the plan.
- We ensure school board policies and procedures are consistent with the principles of accessibility.
- We improve access to facilities, policies, programs, practices and services for students, staff, parents, guardians, volunteers and members of the community
In maintaining the plan, the Accessibility Advisory Committee (AAC) invites advice from persons with disabilities. In selection of members of the committee, organizations are asked to appoint representatives with disabilities where possible.
Our actions to date
1) Reduced height of water fountains
2) Installed audio enhancement equipment in board public meeting rooms
3) Improved access to automatic door opener buttons
4) Ensured chair lifts are in good repair
5) Improved accessibility signage
6) Improved training for self advocacy
7) Ensured consistency of educational assistant staffing
8) Continued emphasis on anti-bullying programs
9) Ensured clarity in fire safety plans for evacuation of persons using wheelchairs
10) Provided accessibility to school offices such as lower counter heights
11) Assisted persons with disabilities to strive for independence
12) Provided sufficient door access widths