This update provides a summary of the public meeting of Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board held Monday, December 1, 2014 at the Education Centre. It is an unofficial summary of the meeting; official minutes will be approved at the next meeting in January 2015.
Director of Education Mandy Savery-Whiteway reviewed the process for elections as described in Board Policy No. 2: Governance By-laws and Standing Rules, and also reviewed the committees as described in Board Policy No. 11: Committees of the Board.
Superintendents Trish FitzGibbon and Leslie Miller were appointed as scrutineers for the chair and vice-chair elections.
Board member representative for Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte
Mike Brant was reappointed as the representative for Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte.
Election of Chair of the Board
Dwayne Inch was re-elected as Chair of the Board.
Election of Vice-chair of the Board
Lucille Kyle was elected as Vice-chair of the Board.
Trustee membership on standing, statutory and administrative committees
Trustees selected membership on standing committees. For 2014, standing committees will consist of the following members:
- Program and Human Resources Committee
Tom Biniaris, Jennifer Cobb, Bonnie Danes, Mary Hall, Dwayne Inch, Lucille Kyle, Dave Patterson, Larry Whitfield and Jim Williams. Student trustees Cam Barry and Alyssa Mifflin are also members. The Chair will be Mary Hall. The Vice-chair will be Larry Whitfield.
- Operations and Finance Committee
Mike Brant, Bonnie Danes, Mary Hall, Dwayne Inch, Dave Patterson and Larry Whitfield. Student trustees Cam Barry and Alyssa Mifflin are also members. The Chair will be Bonnie Danes. The Vice-chair will be Mike Brant.
- Representative to the Board of Directors for the Ontario Public School Boards' Association
Dave Patterson will be the representative to the Board of Directors for the Ontario Public School Boards' Association (OPSBA). Mary Hall will be the alternate.
- Executive Committee
Consists of the Chair, Vice-chair, above-noted standing committee chairs and the OPSBA representative, plus one additional member. Larry Whitfield will be the sixth member.
- Student Enrolment/School Capacity Committee
Consists of all Board members. The Chair will be Mary Hall. The Vice-chair will be Tom Biniaris.
Trustees selected membership on statutory committees. For 2014, statutory committees will consist of the following members:
- Special Education Advisory Committee (SEAC)
Lucille Kyle and Dave Patterson. The two alternate members will be Tom Biniaris and Mary Hall.
The following local associations were appointed to SEAC for a four-year term:
- Children's Mental Health Services, Linda Tighe
- Community Living Prince Edward, Lee Quann
- Community Living Quinte West, Connie McLean
- Counselling Services of Belleville & District, Susan Seaman
- Easter Seals Ontario, Richelle Glenn
- FASworld Canada, Kathy Kennedy
- Family Space Quinte Inc., Kelly Allan
- Highland Shores Children's Aid Society, Angus Francis
- Loyalist College, Cara Facette-Grondin
- Quinte Children's Treatment Centre, Carolyn Baldwin
The following members-at-large were appointed to SEAC for a four-year term:
- Ernie Parsons
- Benzie Sangma
- Supervised Alternative Learning (SAL) Committee
Mike Brant and Jim Williams. Jennifer Cobb will be the alternate.
- Audit Committee
Jennifer Cobb, Bonnie Danes and Mary Hall.
- Accessibility Committee
Tom Biniaris. Bonnie Danes will be the alternate.
- Parent Involvement Committee
Mary Hall. Dave Patterson will be the alternate.
Trustees selected membership on administrative committees. For 2014, administrative committees will consist of the following members:
- Aboriginal Education Steering Committee
Mike Brant and Lucille Kyle.
- Equity and Inclusivity Advisory Committee
Mike Brant and Lucille Kyle.
- Great Place Awards Committee
Jennifer Cobb and Bonnie Danes.
- Instructional Technology Advisory Committee
Tom Biniaris and Dave Patterson.
- Leadership Development Steering Committee
Mary Hall and Dave Patterson.
- Safe Schools Advisory Committee
- Specialist High Skills Majors Advisory Committee
- Food for Learning Committee
All meetings take place at the Education Centre unless otherwise noted.
Thursday, December 11: Special Education Advisory Committee, Quinte Secondary School, 5:00 p.m.
• Monday, January 5: Executive Committee, 11:00 a.m.
• Monday, January 12: Program and Human Resources Committee, 5:30 p.m.
• Monday, January 12: Operations and Finance Committee, 7:00 p.m.
• Thursday, January 22: Special Education Advisory Committee, Quinte Secondary School, 5:00 p.m.
• Monday, January 26: Public Board Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
• Wednesday, January 28: Parent Involvement Committee, 6:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org