Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB) is committed to providing the best educational opportunities while ensuring fiscal responsibility and to enhancing the learning environment in its schools for all students.
From time to time the Board will consider the need to consolidate, close or relocate a school(s) due to changes in curriculum, program demands, student enrolment, community demographics and other factors. In some circumstances these considerations may result in the need to carry out an accommodation review for a school or group of schools. The Board may recommend that an Accommodation Review Committee (ARC) be formed, as outlined in Policy 15: Student Enrolment/School Capacity - Pupil Accommodation Review.
The Board is committed to the following guiding principles:
- Student achievement and well-being.
Effective stewardship of school board resources.
Student curriculum and program needs, as well as funding and renewal needs, will drive facility planning.
Upgrades to the condition of facilities will occur where feasible.
The Board will comply with Ministry of Education guidelines for school consolidation and closure decisions.
The Board will exemplify open decision-making, Board oversight and public participation in capital planning.
Approved accommodation reviews
Accommodation reviews have been approved for the Belleville and Madoc areas and a number of schools in Prince Edward County. An accommodation review happens through the school board, with public input, to determine the future of a school or group of schools. Accommodation reviews follow a very specific schedule over about seven months.
School board officials will be working with principals to organize accommodation review committees (ARCs) (pdf) in each area. The ARC is a committee established by the school board that represents the affected school(s) of an accommodation review. The ARC acts as an official conduit for information
shared between the school board and the school communities.
Members of an ARC include:
• the school principal or designate
• one teacher
• one non-teaching staff member
• three parents, one of whom is the school council chair or designate
• two municipal/business/community members
• one intermediate or secondary student
Accommodation review reference documents
• Letter to families/students of affected schools, November 23, 2016 (pdf)
• Accommodation review areas (Belleville, Centre Hastings, Prince Edward County) (pdf)
• Timeline for an accommodation review (pdf)
• Initial recommendation report about the Belleville schools (pdf)
• Initial recommendation report about the Centre Hastings schools (pdf)
• Initial recommendation report about the Prince Edward County schools (pdf)
Bulletin #8: Understanding accommodation reviews, December 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #7: The plan is in place, now what?, October 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #6: Making sense of Facility Condition Index data, September 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #5: Date extended for public input, June 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #4: Next steps in the
planning process, May 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #3: Looking at enrolment data, May 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #2: A road map for future planning, April 2016 (pdf)
Bulletin #1: Our commitment
is to students, April 2016 (pdf)
Upcoming meeting dates
Public Student Enrolment/School Capacity Committee meetings