Parent Involvement Committee (PIC)
The Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) is a legislated, statutory committee of Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB), established in accordance with Ontario Regulation 612/00 and HPEDSB Policy 11-K.
The PIC is a formal structure and an important advisory body. Along with school councils, the PIC encourages parent involvement at the local and regional levels through a grassroots approach. HPEDSB is committed to working collaboratively with the PIC to increase parent involvement in children’s education and increase confidence in public education, with a focus on improving student achievement and well-being.
The role of PIC is to develop strategies and initiatives to effectively communicate with parents. PICs also provide advice on ways to use strategies and initiatives, communicate information from the Ministry of Education to school councils and parents, and work with school councils to:
- share effective practices to help engage parents;
- identify and reduce barriers to parent engagement;
- help ensure that schools create welcoming environments for parents; and
- support initiatives that help build knowledge and skills that assist PIC and school councils with their work.
Links and resources
- A Closer Look: The Mandate of a PIC (Pdf)
- A Practical Handbook for Parent Involvement Committee Members – Making a Difference (Pdf)
- Parent Involvement Committee meeting agendas and minutes
- Parent Involvement Committees (Pdf)
If you are interested in attending a PIC meeting, please email Student Services at email@example.com for more information. Please be sure to confirm your attendance prior to the meeting.