In the HPEDSB elementary French Immersion program, students are taught French as a subject and French serves as the language of instruction in two or more other subjects.
Academic and Applied courses in French Immersion are available in Grades 9 and 10, and university preparation and open courses in Grades 11 and 12.
In the French Immersion program, students accumulate 10 credits in French: four are for French as a Second Language courses; six are for other subjects in which French is the language of instruction. Students who successfully complete their 10 credits receive a French Immersion certificate.
French Immersion links and resources
- French Immersion Program information nights for September 2021 (Pdf)
- General French Immersion Program information (Pdf)
- Pre-registration form for September 2021 (Pdf)
- Supporting Your Child’s Success in French Immersion and Extended French – A Parent Guide (Pdf)
The French Immersion program is offered at the following elementary schools:
- Bayside Public School
- Central Hastings School
- Harry J Clarke Public School
- Prince Charles Public School (Trenton)
- Prince Edward Collegiate Institute – Elementary
The Extended French Program is available at York River Public School to students in grades 5 – 8 who have an interest in extending their learning of French as a second language. Visit our Extended French Program page for more information.
Secondary School French Immersion
When transitioning to Grade 9, there are several secondary school French language options from which students may choose, including the French Immersion program at Bayside Secondary School. Visit our Secondary School French Programs page for more information.