This update provides a summary of the public meeting of Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board held Monday, October 24, 2016 at the Education Centre. It is an unofficial summary of the meeting; official minutes will be approved at the next meeting in November.
Report from Committee of the Whole
This report included the following:
- Probationary status of new teachers
- Offer to purchase Bayside excess land
Indigenous collaborative inquiry in North Hastings Kindergarten Programs
Schools in North Hastings have been involved in an Indigenous-focused collaborative inquiry since the 2013-2014 school year. Initial work consisted of educator and administrator learning to increase their knowledge, understanding and awareness of Indigenous histories, cultures and perspectives. This included developing an understanding of Indigenous learners.
During 2015-2016 school year, elementary schools went on a collaborative inquiry journey to expand their knowledge of Indigenous cultures. The Northern Kindergarten Natural Curiosity Collaborative Inquiry was about facilitating and measuring student learning by promoting natural curiosity using the holistic approach of the Indigenous learning model. Educators delved deeper into the inquiry process, using outdoor space to inspire creativity and collaboration within students, then brought materials and learning from the outdoor environment into the classroom and integrated that learning with the Aboriginal Learning Model and four frames of the Kindergarten Program: Belonging, Engaging, Expression and Well-Being.
Thank you to all involved in the Northern Kindergarten Natural Curiosity Collaborative Inquiry:
- Bird’s Creek Public School: Lisa McKenna-Sutherland, Principal; Leah Byers, Carine Buchanan-Sobry, Lori Sheppard, Tara Speck, Kerri Storey
- Coe Hill School: Corrina Massey, Principal; Mary Connolly and Jennifer White Fransky
- Maynooth Public School: Lisa Resmer, Principal; Katy Garrett, Kim Mayhew
- York River Public School: Marion Wilson, Principal; Achley Colbeck, Sarah Gatchell, Mary Ann Hicks, Nina Lambe, Dawn Mau, Nicole McCauley
Capital projects update
This presentation (Pdf)  was about progress on the new Trent River Elementary School. Kim Horrigan, Planner, showed a picture show of the progress to date. The school is on budget and on schedule, set to open in January 2017.
Board members adopted the adopt the Long-Term Capital and Accommodation Plan (LTCAP). School boards are expected to have capital plans that address the future needs of their students. The LTCAP is based on the priorities in the 2015-2020 Strategic Plan and is intentionally focused on the vision All students prepared and empowered for the possibilities of today and tomorrow. The draft LTCAP was developed over the past year and is a framework for decision making. It is intended to be a living document that will be monitored and updated as required over the next 10 years. It includes enrolment projections, school capacity and renewal needs based on the work of Watson and Associates and data collected through the Ministry of Education. It also includes overviews of school groups as well as information on program considerations.
Calendar of events
A number of district and school events (Pdf)  are scheduled for the remainder of October and November 2016.
Upcoming events include the following:
- Friday, October 28: PA Day, no school
- Thursday, November 3: Junior Recognition Awards Night, Quinte Secondary School, 6:00 p.m.
- Friday, November 11: Remembrance Day ceremonies, various schools, 10:00 a.m.
Notice of Motion: 2016-2017 Board policy review
Notice of motion was given that amendments to the following policies will be on the agenda for the November 2016 meeting:
- Policy #2: Governance By-Laws and Standing Rules
- Policy #3-A: Delegations and Presentations
- Policy #3-D: Board Communications and Media Relations
- Policy #3-I: Indemnification of Board Members
- Policy #3-J: Board Review
- Policy #11: Committees of the Board
- Policy #11-D: Executive Committee
- Policy #11-F: Student Enrolment/School Capacity Committee
- Policy #12: External Committees and Trustee Advocacy
Letter received from Peel District School Board regarding EQAO testing
All meetings take place at the Education Centre unless otherwise noted.
- Monday, November 7: Executive Committee, 11:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, November 9: Audit Committee, 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 14: Student Enrolment/School Capacity Committee, 3:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 14: Program and Human Resources Committee, 5:30 p.m.
- Monday, November 14: Operations and Finance Committee, 7:00 p.m.
- Monday, November 21: Public Board meeting, 7:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 23: Parent Involvement Committee
- Thursday, November 24: Special Education Advisory Committee, 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, December 5: Annual Public Board meeting
For more information, please contact Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, extension 2354, email@example.com