Board Meeting Update: December 6, 2021
December 6, 2021—This update provides a summary of the Annual Meeting of the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board held December 6, 2021, livestreamed (the recorded version will be available within 24 hours). It is an unofficial summary of the meeting; official minutes will be approved at the next meeting in January 2022.
The meeting was chaired by Katherine MacIver, Director of Education, until the chair of the Board was elected.
Mike Brant, Trustee, Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte, recited the land acknowledgement: Let us bring our minds and hearts together as one to honour and celebrate these traditional lands as a gathering place of the Huron-Wendat, Anishinabek and Haudenosaunee people. It is with deep humility, that we acknowledge and offer our gratitude for their contributions to our community, having respect for all as we come together and walk side by side into the future to support our students of today.
Character Moment of Reflection
At Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board, Growing with Character is our intentional focus on creating safe, caring, respectful and inclusive learning environments where students develop the foundation for good character. Through Growing with Character, we model, teach and expect demonstrations of our eight character traits which are: Caring, Cooperation, Honesty, Humour, Integrity, Respect, Responsibility and Trustworthiness.
This evening Bonnie Danes, Trustee, Central Hastings, asked all to reflect on Cooperation: We work as a team for a common good. We value the opinions of others and show a willingness to work together towards a common goal.
Centennial Secondary School Senior Vocals
Superintendent Ken Dostaler introduced Principal Marg Thompson and seven senior students in the Vocal Music program at Centennial Secondary School. Their live performance was particularly fitting this evening given that today, December 6, is the National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence Against Women. The Arts Program at Centennial Secondary School includes visual, instrumental, vocal and drama.
Music program at Foxboro Public School Marching Band
Superintendent Ken Dostaler introduced Principal Bill Launderville, Foxboro Public School. The school Music program is a passion for all FPS students, many of whom choose to go into the Arts program at Centennial Secondary School. A video was shown featuring the school Marching Band, Percussion, Piano and Guitar programs.
Review of the election process and Board committees
Katherine MacIver, Director of Education reviewed the process for elections as described in Policy 2: Governance By-laws and Standing Rules, and also reviewed the committees as described in Policy 11: Committees of the Board.
Appointment of scrutineers
Superintendents Ken Dostaler and Nick Pfeiffer were appointed as scrutineers for the elections.
|Congratulations to Shannon Binder (left), elected as Chair of the Board and Spencer Hutchison, elected as Vice-chair of the Board effective December 6, 2021 to November 30, 2022.|
Trustees selected membership on statutory committees. For 2022, statutory committees will consist of the following members:
- Executive Committee: Shannon Binder, Spencer Hutchison and Mike Brant.
- Budget/Finance Committee: Bonnie Danes, Shannon Binder, Mike Brant, Spencer Hutchison, Lucille Kyle, Krista McConnell. The chair is Krista McConnell and the vice-chair is Bonnie Danes.
- Special Education Advisory Committee: Lisa Anne Chatten and Kristen Parks are the active members; Mike Brant and Lucille Kyle are the alternates.
- Supervised Alternative Learning (SAL) Committee: Mike Brant and Lucille Kyle are the active members; Krista McConnell is the alternate.
- Audit/Finance Committee members: Jennifer Cobb, Chair; Bonnie Danes and Shannon Binder are the active members.
- Accessibility Advisory Committee members: Lisa Anne Chatten is the active member; Bonnie Danes is the alternate.
- Parent Involvement Committee: Krista McConnell is the active member; Alison Kelly is the alternate.
- Student Discipline Committee members: All trustees; will serve on a rotating basis with a minimum of three required to conduct a suspension appeal or expulsion hearing.
Trustees selected membership on administrative committees. For 2021, administrative committees will consist of the following members:
- Indigenous Education Advisory Committee: Mike Brant and Kristen Parks.
- Equity and Inclusivity Advisory Committee: Mike Brant and Alison Kelly.
- Safe Schools Advisory Committee: Lucille Kyle.
- Mental Health Leadership Team: Shannon Binder is the active member. Lisa Anne Chatten is the alternate.
- Information Technology Advisory Committee: Alison Kelly.
- Food for Learning Partnership: Spencer Hutchison.
- Ontario Public School Boards’ Association (OPSBA) (in place now through to November 2022): Lisa Anne Chatten is the active member. Alison Kelly is the alternate.
Tender for interior renovations at Eastside Secondary School, Phase 1A
Board members awarded Tender ITT 2122-001 to David J. Cupido Construction Corporation Limited for the Phase 1A interior renovations at Eastside Secondary School, for a total of $1,173,000.
Various interior renovations are planned at the school through a phased plan that will span approximately three years. A phasing plan has been developed in collaboration with school administrators, the architect and Facility Services staff. The plan includes various work, including abatement, accessibility projects, classroom renovations, mechanical, electrical and structural work. Find out more starting on page 13 of the December 6, 2021 agenda (PDF).
For more information, please contact Kerry Donnell, Communications and Privacy Manager, extension 62354, or 613-847-0696, [email protected]