Board Meeting Update #173, December 9, 2019
December 9, 2019—This update provides a summary of the Annual Meeting of the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board held Monday, December 9, 2019 at the Education Centre. It is an unofficial summary of the meeting; official minutes will be approved at the next meeting in January 2020.
A roll-call of trustees was conducted to open the meeting; all 10 were present.
This Annual Meeting was chaired by Sean Monteith until the chair of the Board was elected.
Choir performance, Harry J. Clarke Public School
Laina Andrews, Superintendent of Education, introduced Gavin Foster, Teacher and Choir Director, Harry J. Clarke Public School. Over 20 students in the Junior Choir sang three songs (Jingle Bell Rock, Feliz Navidad and A New Year Carol), followed by three more with everyone in the room joining in (Santa Claus is Coming to Town, We Wish You a Merry Christmas and Jingle Bells). Gavin also sang one on his own, A Child Just Like You, as a tribute to students.
Thank you to teachers Gavin Foster and Sharon Richardson, and students: Alyssa Barnes, Lyla Bessin-Holt, Marley Bessin-Holt, Liam Brinklow, Emma Cooney, Raelyn Davidson, Chloe Dunlop, Isabella Eigenbrood, Lena Geitner, Addison Harrow, Ella Harrow, Marlie Hannah, Lila Impey, Maelyn Jin, Isaak Keuning, Karlee Lounsberry, Elissa McIsaac, Lana McKeown, Iris Michell, Addi Moyles, Mackenzie Norton, Savannah Paige, Dylan Phillips, Brooklynn Shulga, Isaac Smith, Daisy Sprung and Bailey Stewart. Principal Jennifer Slater and Vice-Principal Teri Cook were also present.
Appointment of scrutineers
Superintendents Laina Andrews and Nick Pfeiffer were appointed as scrutineers for the elections.
Review of the election process and Board committees
Sean Monteith, Director of Education reviewed the process for elections as described in Policy 2: Governance By-laws and Standing Rules, and also reviewed the committees as described in Policy 11: Committees of the Board.
Chair and vice-chair of the Board
Lucille Kyle, Trustee for North Hastings was elected as Chair of the Board. Shannon Binder was elected as Vice-chair of the Board.
Revisions to Policy 11: Committees of the Board
Board members approved revisions to Policy 11: Committees of the Board. Under the revised policy:
- public Board meetings will continue to occur on the fourth Monday of each month
- a closed Committee of the Whole meeting may occur prior to the public Board meeting, when required
- a public Committee of the Whole meeting will occur on the second Monday of each month
The purpose of these changes is to consolidate several meetings into two meetings each month involving all trustees, as compared to meetings of only some at one meeting and others at another meeting. This approach will allow for greater efficiencies, coherence and cohesion, in an effort to make HPEDSB a responsive and nimble organization that puts kids ahead of procedural processes.
Trustees selected membership on statutory committees. For 2020, statutory committees will consist of the following members:
- Supervised Alternative Learning (SAL) Committee: Mike Brant and Krista McConnell will be the active members. Jennifer Cobb will be the alternate.
- Audit Committee: Shannon Binder, Jennifer Cobb and Krista McConnell will be the active members.
- Accessibility Committee: Lisa Anne Chatten will be the active member. Bonnie Danes will be the alternate.
- Parent Involvement Committee: Alison Kelly will be the active member. Krista McConnell will be the alternate.
- Committee: Consists of all Board members. They serve on a rotating basis, with three required to participate in each meeting.
Trustees selected membership on administrative committees. For 2020, administrative committees will consist of the following members:
- Indigenous Education Advisory Committee: Mike Brant and Kristen Parks.
- Equity and Inclusivity Advisory Committee: Mike Brant and Lisa Anne Chatten.
- Great Place Awards Committee: Shannon Binder and Krista McConnell.
- Instructional Technology Advisory Committee: Spencer Hutchison.
- Leadership Development Steering Committee: Spencer Hutchison and Lucille Kyle.
- Safe Schools Advisory Committee: Bonnie Danes.
- Specialist High Skills Majors Advisory Committee: Spencer Hutchison.
- Mental Health Leadership Team: Kristen Parks will be the active member. Krista McConnell will be the alternate.
- Food for Learning Partnership: Lucille Kyle.
Tender approval for Bayside Secondary School science labs
Board members awarded a tender in the amount of $1.78 million to K. Knudsen Construction Ltd. to renovate science labs at Bayside Secondary School.
The work will involve creating five new science labs from the existing four. New millwork will be installed along with updated gas piping and water filtration systems. Construction will begin in February 2020 with a completion goal of August 2020. Programming will be adjusted for Semester 2 which begins in February 2020. Portables are on site to accommodate the adjustments.
Strategic planning retreat for the Board of Trustees
Board members will attend a strategic planning retreat on January 10 and 11, 2020. It will take place at Graphite Camp in North Hastings. Developing a strategic plan is a core responsibility of Board members. A public consultation for the new strategic plan will be announced in early January 2020.
Holiday greeting card
Kerry Donnell, Communication Manager, showcased an in-house designed holiday greeting card that features a moose walking through the school yard at Bird’s Creek Public School. The photograph was taken last week and is authentic rather than a simulated experience. Electronic and paper versions will be sent out this week.
All meetings take place at the Education Centre unless otherwise noted.
- Thursday, December 12: Special Education Advisory Committee, 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 6: Executive Committee, 11:00 a.m.
- Thursday, January 23: Special Education Advisory Committee, 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, January 27:
- Public Committee of the Whole, 6:00 p.m.
- Public Board Meeting, 7:00 p.m.
For more information, please contact Kerry Donnell, Communications Manager, extension 62354, [email protected]