School board to host provincial event for attendance counsellors
The Ontario Association for Counselling and Attendance Services (OACAS) and Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board have teamed up to host a conference for provincial attendance counsellors.
DATE: Tuesday, April 19, 2011
TIME: 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Ramada Inn, Belleville
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Dr. Avis Glaze, with guest speakers including Anthony Di Lena, Provincial School Attendance Counsellor and Kathleen G. Lowery-King, President, OACAS
Relationships Matter! will feature sessions on the following topics:
- Kathy Soule, Director of Education, speaking about the key role attendance counsellors and professional school support personnel play in contributing to student achievement;
- Dr. Avis Glaze, speaking about the factors that contribute to disengagement and how to foster positive relationships and partnerships to encourage regular school attendance;
- Anthony DiLena, speaking about changes to provincial attendance policies and the Supervised Alternative Learning (SAL) program;
- Peggy McCormick and Nicholas Grieco, speaking about enrolment for elementary and secondary students; and
- Barb Meilenner, speaking about attendance review committees.
Event organizers Shelley Steacy and Kelly Towers, both attendance counsellors for HPEDSB, are expecting close to 80 participants consisting of attendance counsellors and child and youth counsellors from throughout the province, as well as HPEDSB Guidance and Student Success teachers, trustees and central office personnel.
For information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613.966.1170 or 1 800 267.4350, extension 2354, email@example.com