School board ratifies agreement for elementary occasional teachers
At a special public Board meeting on April 6, 2009, board members ratified a four-year collective agreement for elementary occasional teachers with Hastings & Prince Edward Occasional Teachers’ Local.
The collective agreement is for the period September 1, 2008 to August 31, 2012 and covers 300 occasional elementary school teachers.
“We are very pleased with this settlement. Once again, we are fortunate to have negotiating teams that were focused on student success and employee excellence,” remarks Carl Pitman, Chair of the Board.
Highlights of the agreement include the following:
- Improvements to salary and benefits.
- An increase in professional development funds, effective September 2009.
- Improvements in the management of the automated call-out system.
- Inclusion of required Provincial Discussion Table agreement language, including new language for health and safety meetings and staff meetings.
Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board serves more than 16,700 students each day at 46 elementary and 8 secondary schools. Supporting student achievement is the goal of close to 1,800 teaching and support staff who, in addition to the contributions of caring volunteers and community partners, provide the best opportunity for students to learn. The district covers a wide geographical area of 7,221 square kilometres bordered by Maynooth to the north, Deseronto to the east, Prince Edward County to the south and Quinte West to the west.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
• Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, ext. 2354