Eight teachers from England will be visiting the district to learn about the Ontario Health and Physical Education (H&PE) curriculum. Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board was approached by the Ministry of Education and was eager to be a host board.
HPEDSB is recognized as an Ontario leader in H&PE. Curriculum Coordinator Nancy Popovich is presently president of the Ontario Association for the Supervision of Physical and Health Education and has also been a driving force behind all district schools becoming Healthy Active School Communities.
“For us it’s a perfect fit. Safe, respectful and healthy schools are part of our system plan and are a prime focus. Research proves that healthy children are more ready to learn and be engaged,” remarks Popovich.
The delegation consists of eight individuals who already have a wealth of H&PE expertise. While here their focus will be to:
- Learn about another country’s education system regarding the teaching and learning of H&PE.
- Reflect upon issues surrounding their role as H&PE teachers and H&PE leaders in schools.
- Consider and investigate another country’s approach to H&PE in schools.
- Learn about another country’s education system.
The week-long visit is part of a professional development program through the British school system. Educators are encouraged to visit other countries to collect resources, visit classrooms, interact with teachers and experience all that communities have to offer.
“We have a full schedule planned. They will visit schools and community partners throughout the district. This is really an excellent opportunity to share our exemplary programs with these international visitors and also for them to tour around,” adds Popovich.
The delegates will arrive in Belleville Sunday, October 26 and leave Friday, October 31.
TOUR SCHEDULE HIGHLIGHTS
- Monday, October 27 — Loyalist College, Children’s Safety Village
- Tuesday, October 28 — Harmony PS, Prince Charles PS (Trenton)
- Wednesday, October 29 — Education Centre/Student Success teams, Queen Victoria PS
- Thursday, October 30 — Moira SS, Bird’s Creek PS
- Friday, October 31 — Maynooth PS, North Hastings SES
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
• Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, ext. 2354