Quinte Secondary to host Anti-bullying & Leadership Symposium
Quinte Secondary School is getting ready to host two events in mid-April.
EVENT 1: Cyberparenting 101
DATE: Tuesday, April 17
TIME: 7:00 to 9:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Quinte Secondary School
This event is for parents/guardians to learn about cyberbullying. Guest speaker Bill Belsey, founder of www.bullying.org and www.cyberbullying.ca Mr. Belsey will be delivering his Cyberparenting 101: Parenting the ‘Always On’ Generation address.
EVENT 2: Anti-bullying & Leadership Symposium for students
This event is for students and will be an action-oriented and engaging day. Several local and national guest speakers will host workshops about bullying prevention, personal responsibility, positive self-awareness and leadership, while helping students realize the benefits of strong relationships. Students will receive handouts, interact with one another, develop activities and generate ideas to enhance their home school programs.
The goal is that this experience will have a lasting and measurable effect on students and by accomplishing the following:
- Develop and enhance individual students’ basic leadership skills.
- Assist students in defining what leadership is and what the role of a student leader is in their school.
- Engage students in meaningful discussions grounded in the various components of leadership and what it means to be a leader.
- Provide networking opportunities for student leaders to engage with each other to foster collaboration in their own school as well as coalition-building with other student leaders at the symposium.
- Provide hands on leadership development experience to seasoned student leaders by establishing mentor roles and incorporating them in the planning and execution of the event.
- Strengthen a sense of community.
- Connect educators, support staff, administrators, students and parents.
- Develop a new traditions while complementing existing traditions at the school level.
Special thanks to The Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation for providing a Project Enhancement Grant to support this event.
Students from all secondary schools in Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board will participate in this event.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, email@example.com