Year-end report indicates $208,200 in annual electricity savings for 2008-2009 school year
Respecting the environment is a major focus at all Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board schools and offices. The district is proud to partner with EarthCARE, an action-oriented, curriculum-aligned program focusing on energy conservation, waste reduction and water conservation. It is the delivery strategies that make the program distinct and ensure its success in energy reduction and environmental action.
Involvement of students, school staff and senior staff is facilitated through a partnership model that focuses efforts and generates returns. Students drive the initiatives, their ideas and enthusiasm are embraced. Teachers and support staff from each school take on the responsibility as EarthCARE team leaders. Building operators are trained to operate their buildings more efficiently and are active, important members of each school’s EarthCARE team. Support is provided to manage the project implementation and provide the training. The return on the investment is as much as three times the cost and these gains can be shared with the participating schools for their use.
Read about district environmental successes in the 2008-2009 EarthCARE Year-End Report . Highlights include the following:
- Hosting EarthStock and Voltathon events at Moira Secondary School.
- Campaigning to encourage students to walk to school to save fossil emissions at Park Dale School.
- Creating a Stream of Dreams at Queen Victoria School to enhance community awareness of cleaner rivers, streams, and creeks.
- Adding 3,252 One Million Acts of Green by Quinte Secondary School students to the growing international list of accomplishments.
- Presenting at the Ministry of Education Environmental Education in Ontario – Acting Today, Shaping Tomorrow conference in Toronto.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613.966.1170 or 1 800 267.4350, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org