Elementary teachers in Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board will stage a one-day legal strike on Wednesday, December 12, 2012. This was confirmed in writing on Friday, December 7, 2012 by the Elementary Teachers’ Federation of Ontario, Hastings-Prince Edward Local.
Due to this legal strike, all elementary schools will be closed to students on Wednesday, December 12, 2012. Parents/guardians should not send their children to school on Wednesday, December 12. Even though buses will be running for other schools, children who attend Hastings and Prince Edward elementary schools should not get on the bus. The school day will return to normal on Thursday, December 13, 2012.
“We thank our parents and guardians for their patience and understanding as we work through this legal strike with our elementary teachers. Hastings and Prince Edward is in a similar position to other public school boards in Ontario where one-day strikes and teacher withdrawal of services are occurring in response to Bill 115, the Putting Students First Act,” stated Rob McGall, Director of Education.
Secondary school teachers are not involved in this job action. Secondary schools will remain open and the buses will run, as usual. Secondary school students (Grade 9 to 12) are expected to be at school on Wednesday, December 12, 2012.
- Elementary teachers in HPEDSB will be in a legal strike position on December 10, 2012.
- Secondary teachers in HPEDSB were in a legal strike position on Monday, November 12, 2012.
- Public teacher unions are in a province-wide dispute with the provincial government about Bill 115, the Putting Student First Act.
- Approximately 640 permanent and 43 occasional teachers are employed by HPEDSB.
- HPEDSB serves approximately 16,000 students (10,400 elementary and 5,525 secondary) at 42 elementary and eight secondary schools.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org