Director of Education to retire in August 2011
Director of Education Kathy Soule has tendered her resignation for the purpose of retirement, effective August 31, 2011.
In her resignation letter to Carl Pitman, Chair of the Board she stated the following:
It is with mixed emotions that I submit this letter of resignation for the purposes of retirement. My tenure at the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board has been both rewarding and exciting, with numerous examples of professional and personal accomplishments and growth. Most importantly, the personal relationships with trustees, staff, students and community, have enhanced my life in so many ways.
I am deeply grateful to you for your leadership as Chair as well as the Board’s strong support and commitment to our leadership team over the past six years. Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board truly is an incredible System of Character that values students, employees and community. It has been my distinct privilege to serve in advancing these significant goals and wish you all the very best as you continue the journey.
“As a Board we accept Director Soule’s resignation, although we do so with great reluctance. She has been an exemplary leader, with extensive knowledge in education and business. She has also brought alignment and consistency to the district, and has certainly turned the focus of each and every employee to students and supporting student achievement,” stated Carl Pitman, Chair of the Board.
Next week the Board will begin to determine a process to find a replacement.
Director Soule has held her current position since March 2005, having previously served as Deputy Director of Simcoe County District School Board.
During her tenure with HPEDSB, Soule has built a strong, coherent, collaborative learning community with aligned equity in terms of resource allocation, staff recognition, open two-way communication, commonality of language and a strong leadership team. All of that was established with the end in mind: to improve student achievement, morale, and to bring Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board to be known as a system of character focused on student achievement.
Director Soule has a long list of accomplishments in educational leadership, system planning, Board relations, and system and provincial leadership. Her career highlights also include significant contributions to education at the provincial level.
During her 38 years in public education, Soule has:
- Served as Chair of the Public Council of Ontario Directors of Education (ongoing).
- Served as a Board member for The Hastings and Prince Edward Learning Foundation (ongoing).
- Served as a Governor of Loyalist College (ongoing).
- Served as representative for the Ontario Public School Boards’ Association at the Provincial Discussion Table.
- Had key responsibility for curriculum development and implementation, student assessment, human resources, negotiations, families of schools, and professional development.
- Led the provincial Privacy and Information Management Task Force.
- Participated on several boards, including Eastern Ontario Staff Development Network and the Ottawa Region MISA (Managing Information for Student Achievement) Professional Network Centre.
- Been recognized as an Ontario Teachers’ Federation Fellow.
- Had many years of involvement in leading local and provincial teacher federations.
Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board serves more than 15,700 students each day at 46 elementary and eight secondary schools. Supporting student achievement is the goal of close to 1,900 teaching and support staff who, in addition to the contributions of caring volunteers and community partners, provide the best opportunity for students to learn. The district covers a wide geographical area of 7,221 square kilometres bordered by Maynooth to the north, Deseronto to the east, Prince Edward County to the south and Quinte West to the west.
For information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613.966.1170 or 1 800 267.4350, extension 2354, email@example.com