Students, families, community educators and support staff are invited to celebrate Education Week in Ontario from May 2 to 6, 2011. The provincial theme is Learning Together. Succeeding Together.
Schools throughout Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board will be hosting a variety of celebrations and events.
- BREADNER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL: Jungle Book musical performances with Arts and Literacy Showcase, May 4 and 5, 7:00 p.m. Involves over 80 students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8. Tickets are $5 each or $12 for an immediate family, available at the school office or at the door.
- QUEEN ELIZABETH PUBLIC SCHOOL (TRENTON):
- MUSIC MONDAY – May 2 at 1:00pm, All students have been learning the same song, Tomorrow is Coming by Luke Doucet. At 1:00 p.m., students will begin singing this Music Monday song along with schools from across the country and around the world! The magic of this event is that at the same point during that day, that is, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time, 11:00 a.m. Mountain Time, 12:00 p.m. Central Time, 1:00 p.m. Eastern Time, 2:00 p.m. Atlantic time, and 2:30 in Newfoundland, schools right across the country are united by one piece of music.
- VISUAL ARTS—Mural Project – May 2 – 6 ~ 9:15 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. daily, Artist – Nicole Pena will be working with students within each division (Primary/Junior/Intermediate) to co-design and paint three murals within our school!!! A Primary mural (across from the office), a Junior mural (across from the primary entrance/exit doors) and an Intermediate mural (at the top of the ramp by the gym) will be created and painted throughout the week. The Primary mural will have a fairy tales/nursery rhymes theme incorporating the Growing with Character traits. The Junior mural will have a graphic novel (comic book) theme incorporating the Growing with Character traits. The intermediate mural will have a graffiti theme incorporating the Growing with Character traits.
- DRAMA & DANCE — School Musical Production May 4, 5, & 6 (12:30am – 1:35pm) and (6pm -8pm)
Students have been rehearsing since January and now it has come to the moment we have all been anticipating—our performances of The Ever after ~ A Musical! For the first time in Queen E’s history, we will present our school musical to other schools in the Trenton School Group!! On Wednesday, College Street (Gr. K-3) and Prince Charles will arrive at 12:30pm for an afternoon performance. On Thursday, College Street (Gr. 4-8) and VP Carswell will arrive at 12:30pm for a performance. On Wednesday and Thursday evenings, we will present our musical to the public from 7pm – 8pm. Doors will open at 6:30pm and we will have a canteen (popcorn and drinks) open at the beginning of the performances. We will have a performance of The Ever After ~ A Musical for the students and staff of Queen Elizabeth and North Trenton Public Schools on Friday @ 12:30pm.
PRINCE EDWARD COLLEGIATE INSTITUTE: Musical comedy, Little Shop of Horrors, May 5, 6 and 7th, at 7:00 p.m.
Little Shop of Horrors is a rock and roll romp about a group of down and out employees of a filthy little flower shop in Skid Row who suddenly become rich and famous when the reluctant hero, Seymour Krelborn, finds a unique new plant, which he names an Audrey 2, after the somewhat sleazy, yet innocent and childlike Audrey who works along Seymour at Mushnik’s Skid Row Florists. Unfortunate situations and mayhem ensues when it is discovered that the Audrey 2 needs blood to survive. Tickets are on sale at Books and Co. on Main Street in Picton, or at the door, $10.
- V.P. CARSWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL:
- MONDAY – Music Monday
- TUESDAY – Fairy tale sharing, students in Grades 1, 2 and 3 have written fairy tales. Students in Primary grades and their families are invited to a Books & Blankets event at 6:00 p.m.
- WEDNESDAY is Jump Rope for Heart, with the event starting at 12:30 p.m.
- THURSDAY – The Ever After, A Musical involves students in Grades 4, 5 and 6; later that afternoon a volunteer tea is planned
- FRIDAY – full-school practise for Celebration of Dance