Board officials will begin to analyze Grants for Student Needs (GSNs)
Today the Ministry of Education announced the Grants for Student Needs (GSNs) for Ontario school boards for the 2011-2012 school year. Officials at Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board will begin analyzing the allocation to determine the impact on budget planning.
Based on an early and cursory review the board has the following comments:
- The government’s commitment to previously announced labour agreements has been confirmed for 2011-2012. This will see wage and staff increases for some employee groups as per their previously agreed to contracts.
- The board is pleased that specific cost pressures have been acknowledged by the province and are being addressed through additional funding for:
- OMERS pension plan increased contribution rates;
- school operation costs, such as utilities and insurance; and
- school bus transportation costs.
Of particular note is the government’s commitment to capital funding over the next three years. HPEDSB will receive $1.7 million in 2011-2012 to assist with school renewal. The board is hopeful that some of the funds being set aside for new schools, additions and renovations based on previously submitted business cases will be earmarked for HPEDSB.
The government also confirmed that constraint measures introduced first in 2009-2010 will continue and some new measures will be introduced in 2011-2012.
Board officials will be working with the data to develop the complete financial analysis but at this time still anticipate a substantial budget shortfall when that analysis is completed.
For information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613.966.1170 or 1 800 267.4350, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org