School board and 99.3 County FM partner to celebrate students
Joint news release from the Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board, and 99.3 County FM
June 8, 2020—The Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board is pleased to announce that it has partnered with radio station 99.3 County FM to broadcast Grade 8 graduation ceremonies for Prince Edward County elementary schools.
Transitioning to high school is a momentous occasion for students. While the COVID-19 pandemic has taken away some aspects of the traditional year-end ceremonies, the school board and radio station are proud to recognize these students in a unique way.
The 80-minute broadcast will begin at 12:10 PM on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 on 99.3 and will be repeated at 6:10 PM that evening. Approximately 160 Grade 8 students are graduating from five schools:
- Athol South-Marysburgh Public School
- CML Snider School
- Kente Public School
- Sophiasburgh Central School
- Prince Edward Collegiate Institute
The event will feature messages from the following people:
- Trustees Jennifer Cobb, North Prince Edward County and Alison Kelly, South Prince Edward County
- Sean Monteith, Director of Education
- Tina Elliott, Superintendent of Education
- Principals from each school
- Heather McMaster, Athol South-Marysburgh Public School
- Tina Jones, CML Snider School
- Annette Huizenga, Kente Public School
- Lee Prophet, Sophiasburgh Central School
- Andrew Ross, Prince Edward Collegiate Institute
- One Grade 8 student from each school
The name of each student going to high school in September will be announced.
“Celebrating the end of the school year in June is a decades-old tradition and the COVID-19 isn’t stopping us from making that happen! The sense of community—and family—in Prince Edward County is what keeps everyone connected and together. This partnership with 99.3 County FM is another example of the HPEDSB helping students and families to feel part of our HPEschools family. We appreciate the efforts and radio time of 99.3 County FM to showcase the students of Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board. Congratulations to each of them!” – Sean Monteith, Director of Education
“At 99.3 County FM, our volunteers were eager to do something significant to celebrate the students. It doesn’t matter the grade they’re graduating from, there are so many emotions for the students and families as the school year concludes. We are grateful to the Prince Edward County elementary schools for allowing us to be a part of the celebrations. By broadcasting at 99.3 FM and streaming the event (www.993countyfm.ca) we hope students and families from all grades will share in the joy of these PEC Grade 8 students.” – Craig Mills, Station General Manager