Grade 10 and 11 students—apply to become a student trustee
May 10, 2021—Students in Grades 10 and 11 now (going into Grades 11 and 12 in September) are invited to apply to become a student trustee.
Involving students in Board business is a valuable learning experience. Hearing from student trustees at Board meetings about student issues and opinions is a way to engage these leaders beyond their school community. They represent student opinions at the Board level and participate actively on committees.
What do student trustees do?
Student trustees are involved in many different ways at their school and also at the Board level. The are leaders who represent the voices of all student. For example, student trustees:
- Attend school Board meetings and are knowledgeable about policies and procedures
- Serve as student representatives between the Board and the Student Senate
- Serve as the Board’s representatives at the Ontario Student Trustees’ Association
- Attend the annual Ontario Student Trustees’ Association conference
- Undertake a mentoring role with the incoming Student Senate
HPEDSB has three student trustees, including one representing Indigenous students. Watch the video from the 2020-2021 student trustees sharing their experiences and encouraging other students to become trustees this fall.
Interested in applying?
Tell us who you are! Discuss your lived, living, volunteer and other experiences that you think make you a great candidate.
Send a one-page letter or 60-second video to Sean Monteith, Director of Education ([email protected]), saying why you are interested in being a student trustee. The deadline is Monday, May 17, 2021 at noon. The Board of Trustees will make the decision by the end of May 2021.
For more information, please contact the Director’s Office at [email protected].