Did you know . . . that the PIC is an advisory group for students with special needs?
January 9, 2019—The Parent Involvement Committee (PIC) is a legislated, statutory committee of Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board (HPEDSB), established in accordance with Ontario Regulation 612/00 as amended of the Education Act and Board Policy 11-K.
The PIC is a formal structure and an important advisory body. Along with school councils, the PIC encourages parent involvement at the local and regional levels through a grassroots approach. HPEDSB is committed to working collaboratively with the PIC to increase parent involvement in children’s education, improve student achievement and well-being and increase confidence in public education.
Responsibilities of the PIC
The role of PIC is to develop strategies and initiatives to effectively communicate with parents, and encourage parents in improving student achievement and well-being. PICs also provide advice on ways to use the strategies and initiatives, communicate information from the Ministry of Education to school councils and parents, and work with school councils to:
- share effective practices to help engage parents;
- identify and reduce barriers to parent engagement;
- help ensure that schools create welcoming environments for parents;
- support initiatives that help build knowledge and skills that assist PIC and school councils with their work.
Note: members are required to attend 50% of meetings, plus one additional meeting each year.
Please join us at PIC meetings
All parents/guardians and interested members of the public are invited to attend PIC meetings. Meetings are held at the Education Centre, 156 Ann Street, Belleville. Anyone interested in attending a PIC meeting may contact Student Services for information and to confirm attendance.
- Lee-Anne Kerr, Co-chair, Centre Hastings
- Jamie Seniuk Co-chair, Sidney/Frankford
- Alison Kelly, Trustee Representative
- Kristen Parks, Trustee Representative Alternate
- Mandy Savery-Whiteway, Director of Education
- Kelly Beauvais, Trenton
- Clinton Breau, School Representative
- Tina Elliott/Rob McFadden, System Lead
- Will Hornby, Belleville/Thurlow #2
- Julie Kezar, Administrative Assistant
- Sarah Landry, Community Representative
- Lisa Lindsay, Community Representative
- Laurie Newman, Community Representative
- Andrew MacDonald, Belleville/Thurlow #1
- Selena Prinzen, North Prince Edward
- Brittany Sararas, North Hastings
- Tonia Shelmerdine, School Representative
- TBD, Southeast Hastings
- TBD,South Prince Edward
- TBD, Tyendinaga Mohawk Territory