September 5, 2018—Each month, school newsletters include a one-page insert called Home-School Connections. It describes ways in which families can enhance student learning at home in the areas of literacy; numeracy; healthy, caring schools and improving student learning.
This month’s Home-School Connections (Pdf)  features:
- Developing Mathematics: A Parent’s Guide to The Fundamentals of Math (Pdf)  states that as students progress through elementary school, they will develop their ability to think mathematically, learn about different concepts and relationships and learn how to apply their knowledge.
- Number Talks are 10 minute daily classroom conversation around intentionally designed strings of problems that are solved mentally. Learn more about the fundamental math skills from Grade 1-8 (Pdf)  and ideas about how you can support your child at home.
- Links for Learning: Mathify  is a free online service that connects grade 7-10 students with Ontario certified math teachers.
- Every child in HPEDSB has access to the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE)  where he or she can access a variety of online tools to support learning.
- Important Upcoming Date: Orange Shirt Day: Every Child Matters  is recognized on Monday, October 1, 2018.
- Orange Shirt Day is an outcome of the St. Joseph Mission Residential School commemoration event where residential school survivor Phyllis Webstad shared the story of how her brand new shiny orange shirt was taken away the day she arrived at the Mission school.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]