Home-School Connections: ideas to enhance student learning at home, June 2018
May 31, 2018—Each month, school newsletters include a one-page insert called Home-School Connections. It describes ways in which families can enhance student learning at home in the areas of literacy; numeracy; healthy, caring schools and improving student learning.
This month’s Home-School Connections (Pdf) features:
- Physical: Use SunSense safety tips (Pdf) while outdoors this summer. Parachute Safe Kids Week is June 4-10, 2018 and focuses on awareness of concussion at home, at play and on the road.
- Cognitive: The benefits of reading stories to our children at night time have been shared countless times. Math Before Bed is a collection of prompts that can inspire mathematical discussions that you and your children can have before bed, at dinner, or anytime.
- Emotional: Power Off and Play! Experts in Canada recommend limiting the amount of time children spend on screens for recreation.
- Under 2 years: No recommended hours of screen time
- 2-4 years: Less than 1 hour a day of recommended screen time
- 5-17 years: No more than 2 hours a day of recommended screen time
- Social: Library summer programs:
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]