National music award for North Hastings HS teacher
Congratulations to Dianne Winmill, teacher at North Hastings High School, winner of the 2017 MusiCounts Canadian Teacher of the Year Award!
“On behalf of our students and staff, we congratulate Dianne on this incredible achievement. She works tirelessly to promote music education in our school and throughout the North Hastings community. Dianne continues to integrate creative programming options for students, such as Royal Conservatory of Music exams. Our school band has also performed for all feeder schools and numerous community groups and functions for several years,” said Ken Dostaler, Principal.
As an award recipient, Dianne will receive $10,000 and the school will also receive $10,000 for the Music program. Dianne and a guest are also invited to attend the 2017 JUNO Awards Weekend. Airfare, accommodation, and tickets are included. She will receive a solid crystal statuette based on the JUNO Award design created by Canadian glass artist, the late Shirley Elford.
Background on the MusiCounts Teacher of the Year Award
The MTOY Award recognizes one music teacher in Canada each year who:
- Is a professional and outstanding music educator
- Demonstrates an extraordinary commitment towards children and teaching
- Has made a tangible and positive difference in students’ lives, with an ability to motivate, challenge and encourage them
- Inspires students to learn about and appreciate music
- Inspires students of all backgrounds and abilities
- Contributes to the advancement of music in his/her community
- Possesses the ability to generate excitement and enthusiasm for music within his/her school and/or community
- Has the support, respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues
The award was established in 2005 to recognize and honour dedicated music teachers who keep music alive in in Canadian schools. The Award pays tribute to the accomplishments of one exceptional music teacher.
Each year, the award is sponsored or presented by an artist, including. Past presenters have included The Rolling Stones, Michael Bublé, Céline Dion, Shania Twain, Tragically Hip, Anne Murray, Billy Talent, Johnny Reid, Gord Bamford and MAGIC! This 2016-2017 award is presented by Blue Rodeo.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org