Construction at Marmora Senior Public School to begin in June 2017
May 24, 2017—Construction of the addition and renovations at Marmora Senior Public School will begin in June now that a construction tender was recently awarded. Board members approved a $4.5 million contract for Garritano Brothers Ltd. to do the work.
“With the tender approved, the contractor is preparing to start work on this project. In the coming weeks they will get fencing up and have the equipment on-site. We’re excited to be at this point of the project,” said Nick Pfeiffer, Superintendent of Business Services.
The consolidated school will bring together students from Earl Prentice Public School (presently JK to Grade 3) and Marmora Senior Public School (presently Grade 4 to 8) on the Marmora Senior site.
“This is another project to improve learning environments for HPEDSB students. Schools in other HPEDSB communities have had large-scale renovations done in recent years. It’s good news to see a modern learning facility coming to Marmora for the benefit of students, families and the community,” added Pfeiffer.
School start-up in September 2017
We are planning a two-phase approach to moving in.
- PHASE 1, SEPTEMBER 2017
- Marmora Senior Public School will remain Grade 4 to 8. Students who normally go to Marmora Senior will go there in September, as usual.
- Earl Prentice will remain JK to Grade 3. Students who normally go to Earl Prentice will go there in September, as usual.
- PHASE 2, MARCH 2018
- It is anticipated that Earl Prentice students will move to the renovated Marmora school in March 2018.
We are committed to ensuring that the renovated school is completed and fully ready to welcome all students.
Renovations to the main office and mechanical systems will be completed over the summer to be ready for September. The addition and other renovations will be completed for March 2018.
Details about the addition and renovations
The project includes the following work:
- Construction of additions to the existing building, including five new classrooms and a new double-size gym
- Modifications/renovations to the existing building, including a new front entrance, main office, and converting the existing gym to a learning commons/library
- Building renewal work to replace the heating/ventilation equipment, electrical and communication systems (telephone, data, public address and security), interior/exterior doors and interior finishes, and a new bus loop at the front of the building
Funding for this project resulted from a capital priority business case submitted to the Ministry of Education in the summer of 2015, with funding announced in November of that year.
Community input to choose a name for the consolidated school
The community is invited to vote on a name (webpage) for the consolidated Marmora elementary school. Voting closes Wednesday, May 31, 2017.
The short-list of names includes the following:
- Crowe River Public School
- Crowe Valley Public School
- Marmora Elementary School
- Marmora Public School
These names were short-listed through a first round of community input. Several submissions involved connections to water or the village of Marmora. Crowe Lake and Crowe River, which are encompassed by Crowe Valley, are close to Marmora Senior PS and are a significant part of the community.
A community information meeting to show floor plans and answer questions regarding the project and plan for students will be scheduled in the coming weeks. Updates will be provided as they become available.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org