Understanding the role of a school board trustee, October 2015
This is the second in a series of articles about school board trustees. A different article will be featured each month.
DID YOU KNOW . . . that school trustees meet regularly and the framework for Board meetings is set out in the Education Act?
Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board holds public Board meetings on the fourth Monday of each month. Meetings begin at 7:00 p.m. Agendas and minutes are posted on the board website at www.HPEschools.ca > About HPEDSB > Board and Committee Meetings.
At public Board meetings, trustees use Robert’s Rules of Order as the accepted parliamentary procedure to ensure orderly and productive meetings.
The public is welcome to attend these meetings.
Trustees for 2014 – 2018
Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board is proud to have the following trustees:
- Dwayne Inch, South Prince Edward County & Chair of the Board
- Lucille Kyle, North Hastings & Vice-Chair of the Board
- Tom Biniaris, Trenton & CFB Trenton
- Mike Brant, Mohawks of the Bay of Quinte
- Justin Bray, Southeast Hastings
- Jennifer Cobb, North Prince Edward County
- Bonnie Danes, Centre Hastings
- Mary Hall, Belleville & Thurlow
- Dave Patterson, Belleville & Thurlow
- Jim Williams, Frankford & Sidney
As a member of the Board, an individual trustee is expected to act within the Board’s by-laws, be loyal to the Board’s decisions and abide by the Code of Conduct. As elected persons, trustees are also expected to advocate for the interests of their constituencies.
Student trustees for the 2014-2015 school year
Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board also has two student trustees who represent the interests of the student body at Board meetings. They are not members of the Board and are not entitled to exercise a binding vote although they have the same opportunities for participation at Board meetings.
The 2015-2016 student trustees are:
- Lauren Barry, Centre Hastings Secondary School
- Morgan Hillier, Moira Secondary School
Source: Good Governance: A Guide for Trustees, School Boards, Directors of Education and Communities, 2014.
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, [email protected]