Modern learning facility coming to the Trenton community
Hastings and Prince Edward District School Board is excited about the facility renewal advancements being made to create outstanding learning environments in our district. This is to provide an update on construction of the new Trenton elementary school. It will bring together students from Breadner Elementary School, College Street Public School and Queen Elizabeth Public School.
“We are very fortunate to have a new, modern learning facility being built in the Trenton community. Our new Trenton elementary school, Kindergarten – Grade 8, will be a state-of-the-art learning environment for students, families, employees and our community partners,” said Mandy Savery-Whiteway, Director of Education.
The new Trenton elementary school will be built on the exact location of the existing Queen Elizabeth Public School. In order for that to happen, Queen Elizabeth Public School will close as of June 30, 2015. The school will be demolished during July and August 2015. Construction is scheduled to begin in September 2015. The proposed opening date for the new Trenton elementary school is January 2017.
PLANS FOR SCHOOL START-UP IN SEPTEMBER 2015
The following changes will be in place for September 2015. A letter will be going home with students (PDF) at the affected schools on Monday, April 27, 2015.
- QUEEN ELIZABETH PUBLIC SCHOOL Will close at the end of June 2015. Students will move to Breadner Elementary School from September 2015 to January 2017. Students will then move to the new Trenton elementary school in January 2017.
- BREADNER ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Students will remain at Breadner. Students will move to the new Trenton elementary school in January 2017. In the meantime, Breadner will welcome all students from Queen Elizabeth Public School in September.
- NORTH TRENTON PUBLIC SCHOOL Will become a K – Grade 5 school in September 2015, then a K – Grade 6 school in September 2016. Students going into Grade 7 will move to the new Trenton elementary school in September 2017.
- V.P. CARSWELL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL Will become a K – 8 school during construction. Intermediate students will move to the new Trenton elementary school in September 2017.
- COLLEGE STREET PUBLIC SCHOOL No changes. Students will move to the new Trenton elementary school in January 2017.
- PRINCE CHARLES PUBLIC SCHOOL Is not affected by the new school build.
- TRENTON HIGH SCHOOL Although the high school is not affected by the new school build, Trenton High will continue to welcome all Grade 8 students who are going into Grade 9.
Between now and mid-June, a formal school closing ceremony will be arranged to honour the past and present of Queen Elizabeth Public School, and celebrate students, families and the community.
COMMUNITY INFORMATION MEETING
A community information meeting (PDF) to share design plans for the new Trenton elementary school
DATE: Tuesday, May 5, 2015
TIME: 7:00 p.m.
LOCATION: Queen Elizabeth Public School, 16 Sillers Avenue, Trenton
Regular updates will be shared through school newsletters, Synrevoice (voicemail), the school board website (www.HPEschools.ca) and Twitter (@HPEschools).
For more information, please contact:
Kerry Donnell, Communications Officer, 613-966-1170 or 1 800 267-4350, extension 2354, firstname.lastname@example.org